We’re looking for an experienced web developer to join our Cardiff based team.
We’re looking for a web developer that understands the importance of good engineering solutions above all else, takes pride in what they deliver and enjoys being an active part of a hard working team. You’ll play an active role in the development of our client websites, CMS and other tech focussed projects.
Essentials for the role include:
- Ruby/RoR experience (commercial experience).
- Front end development experience (commercial experience).
- Cloud server setup and maintenance.
- Strong communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
We are a creative web design and development company with a current focus on Ruby based web development. The day-to-day tools we use include Middleman, Sinatra and Ruby on Rails, amongst others. We have also developed our own Rails Engines based CMS which commonly forms the basis of our work - but we also use a wide range of other open source tools and toolkits.
We have been in business for 12 years and our clients include a broad range of businesses and organisations, from small independent sole traders to recognised household brands. Currently we are focussing our efforts on working with design and architecture led businesses who value bespoke digital design, at both frontend and backend.
As well as client work we also maintain and develop a suite of products and services to support our sister company, Restaurant & Bar Design Ltd. Restaurant & Bar Design is a hub that connects the UK’s and world’s top hospitality designers and operators. The Restaurant & Bar Design Awards is recognised as the world’s top industry focussed awards programme and we recently launched the Restaurant & Bar Design Directory and plan to launch a Restaurant & Bar Product Design Awards in January 2016.
Our current tech focus
The following describes our current tech focus, but as a valued member of our team you will get to play a leading role in shaping Core’s future tech direction:
- Ruby (Rails, Middleman, Sinatra)
- PHP (Wordpress, Limonade, some legacy PHP frameworks)
- MySQL / PostgreSQL
- Chef / Ansible / Vagrant
- Cloud services such as Digital Ocean, Heroku and more!
Personal traits we are seeking
- Sense of humour.
- Ability to work well in a team as well as under own initiative.
- Passionate about your work.
- Strong communication skills.
- Smart and can get things done.
- Equal willingness to learn and teach.
- Participating in the planning, design, development and deployment of new websites and new web applications.
- Development of new features/enhancements/upgrades to a stock of previously built work.
- Building high-performance, scalable websites and web based applications/content management systems.
- Creating clean, maintainable and well tested code.
Other requirements of the role
- Excellent debugging and problem solving skills.
- Proficient in at least two of the following languages/platforms (and an eagerness to learn more):
- Ruby (Rails / Middleman / Sinatra).
- PHP (Wordpress / other smaller 'static' websites).
- Front end development frameworks such as Foundation or Bootstrap.
- An understanding of database theory with experience of MySQL / PostgreSQL. Any experience of NoSQL alternatives is a bonus.
- Good understanding of the entire development process, including agile / project management, testing, build, deployment and maintenance.
What we expect from you
- A commitment to Core as a team member.
- Focus and drive to be the best you can.
- Flexibility to put in the hours when needed (we operate a flexi-time system).
- A commercial awareness.
What you can expect from us
- Your own Mac or Ubuntu based workstation.
- Flexible working environment.
- Great team with supportive and approachable management.
Salary and benefits negotiable based on experience.